Lipstick Robot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lipstick Robot

We carry a big stick ... or something.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

movies .... that I've watched

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Patty The K
Admin
Patty The K

movies .... that I've watched Empty
PostSubject: movies .... that I've watched   movies .... that I've watched Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 1:48 pm

Double Idemnity (1944) - Sexy blonde convinces a insurance salesman to help kill off her husband and claim the insurance. The story itself goes too quickly to the decision that he'll help her - probably within the first 15 minutes - but then the rest of the movie just draaaags on. What else can I say except that Fred MacMurray was good! I was very surprised at his dramatic role, he was actually kinda macho/sexy? Barbara Stanwyck, who plays the sexy blonde, was unforgettable to me - she came across as over the top and desperate.

A Clockwork Orange (1971) - I can't decide if Stanley Kubrick is a genius or a nutso. I disliked the first part of this movie; the senseless crime ... but the story gets damn good. The main character "Alex" is the leader of his gang and commits shock crimes for pure pleasure. He ends up accidently killing a woman he's busted in on, gets thrown in prison, and volunteers himself to undergo a certain type of therapy to make him "cured." Stanley took a character I couldn't stand and made me sympathize for him, eventually liking him. Perhapts that was his whole plan.

Iris (2001) - Don't ever watch this movie. It's depressing and confusing. Plus I'm tired of seeing Kate Winslet's big brown nipples the size of half dollars.

The Brother's Grimm (2005) - This movie had such potential but I was very disappointed. The scenery was awesome, though.
Back to top Go down
https://lipstickrobot.aforumfree.com
Dingus McCrunch

Dingus McCrunch

PostSubject: Re: movies .... that I've watched   movies .... that I've watched Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 5:30 pm

Interesting opinion of Clockwork Orange. Yeah, i think the point was you were supposed to root for Alex by the end of the movie, and root for him to return to being an evil vicious criminal. I think in the book he even talked about getting back at the ex-droog cops who beat him up. But in focusing on Alex, the petty criminal, did you forget to notice that the government was becoming totalitarian? They said that that re-habilitation program was created so they could clear up jail space for "political prisoners". It's a society where the victims are punished and the criminals are made into authority figures. The old writer who was his first victim gets no justice, Alex is never punished for what he did to him, so the old writer tries to extract a little justice and winds up being the one locked away. While Alex the murderer is treated like royalty.

I'd really like to see Double Idemnity and also i agree about The Brothers Grimm.
Back to top Go down
Patty The K
Admin
Patty The K

PostSubject: Re: movies .... that I've watched   movies .... that I've watched Icon_minitimeSun Mar 30, 2008 9:06 am

Yeah, this is why I love Blockbuster Online so much. I can watch movies I've always wanted to see but can never find.

I have asked a lot a people if they have seen Clockwork Orange. To the ones who said "yes" I then asked if they liked it. Their replies have all been the same which is a long pause followed by a "I don't know." Strange.
Back to top Go down
https://lipstickrobot.aforumfree.com
Dingus McCrunch

Dingus McCrunch

PostSubject: Re: movies .... that I've watched   movies .... that I've watched Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 6:40 pm

Yeah, people are strange... Ask people what they thought of No Country For Old Men if you want a strong reaction.
Back to top Go down
Dingus McCrunch

Dingus McCrunch

PostSubject: Finally got to see this movie, thanks TCM   movies .... that I've watched Icon_minitimeFri Mar 20, 2009 6:46 am

Double Indemnity (1944): starring Fred MacMurray, Barbara Stanwyck, Edward G. Robinson, Tom Powers
Fred MacMurray plays Walter Neff, the tough-as-nails... insurance salesman? He's the type of fella that's been around the block. He calls broads "dames" and says things like "they know more tricks than a carload of monkeys" and "they'll hang you just as sure as ten dimes'll buy you a dollar". The person they're going to hang is Mrs. Dietrichson (Barbara Stanwyck), a dame who's unhappy in her marriage and is looking to collect a little dough on the way out. She picks out Neff as a pidgeon, see, and figures the sap for a real chump who'll play ball so long as she makes with the old "sweetness" routine. But as I said before, Neff is nobody's all-day sucker. But her IS interested in beating the system he works in from the inside out. Perhaps it's more about the challenge than the money for him, as he schemes to commit the perfect murder. "Double Indemnity" is film noir, directed in a style of shadows and sharp blacks and whites, and sometimes comes off as Hitchcockian. Even though it was made at the height of WWII, it's not an escapist fantasy. Neither of the main characters is sympathetic, in fact, Stanwyck's character is downright nasty. The film builds in tension as we follow the two schemers into the ever-tightening noose of justice. Edward G. Robinson plays the bloodhound-like insurance investigator never gives up the case, explaining that there's no such thing as the "perfect murder" when there's more than one murderer involved. Someone always makes a mistake.
**** out of *****
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: movies .... that I've watched   movies .... that I've watched Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

movies .... that I've watched
Page 1 of 1