Lipstick Robot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lipstick Robot

We carry a big stick ... or something.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dingus McCrunch

Dingus McCrunch

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie Empty
PostSubject: The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie   The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 3:04 am

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie (1972): starring Fernando Rey, Paul Frankeur, Delphine Seyrig, Bulle Ogier
Combine the surrealism of David Lynch with the absurdism of Monty Python, and you get an approximation of this movie. There isn't really a plot here, but some things happen, which I will describe to the best of my ability. The ambassador from the country of Miranda attempts to enjoy a dinner with friends, but there always seems to be some interruption to keep them from enjoying their meal. The ambassador also happens to be a drug smuggler, and is in constant threat of assassination by guerillas from Miranda. Meanwhile, the Bishop comes round to the friends' house and announces he'd like to be their gardener. A soldier stops the women in a little cafe (where they've run out of everything but water), to tell the story of how he murdered his stepfather, and then walks away. The last third of the movie seems to be a series of dream sequences, where each of the party guests dreams of murders and arrests. Apart from a few vignettes, the movie isn't very interesting (and I really hate to oversell the surrealism, which doesn't show up really until the last third of the movie), and neither are the performances. It's only memorable in that it will someday vex you to try and remember the title of "that one weird french movie".
**1/2 out of *****
Back to top Go down

The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Lipstick Robot :: Movies!-
Jump to: