Lipstick Robot
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Lipstick Robot

We carry a big stick ... or something.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Thin and Frosty!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Dingus McCrunch

Dingus McCrunch

Thin and Frosty! Empty
PostSubject: Thin and Frosty!   Thin and Frosty! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Frost/Nixon (2008): starring Frank Langella, Michael Sheen, Sam Rockwell, Kevin Bacon, Matthew Macfadyen, Rebecca Hall, Oliver Platt
David Frost rose to fame based on the success of his interviews with former president Richard Nixon. Based on the play by Peter Morgan, Ron Howard's film version of "Frost/Nixon" rests almost soley on the shoulders of Frank Langella. Anyone can copy Nixon's goofy mannerisms (and, Nixon was one of the most bizarre, socially inept political figures of the 20th century), but not many can get down into the humanity of Nixon, both strengths and flaws. Langella's Nixon is full of unparalleled political savvy, yet seems almost blind when it comes to moral turpitude, it's almost as if he can't see the difference between right and wrong. As the movie opens, David Frost (Michael Sheen) is little more than an ambitious talk show host, who once had dreams of making it in America and is now making it small in Australia. At first, the series of interviews Frost arranges with Nixon seem like a slam dunk for the former president, he'll make alot of money answering softball questions from an interviewer just happy to have the job. That is, until Frost hires a consulting team to help "give America the trial it never got". Sheen's Frost wears a look of perpetual shock on his face, as if he's amazed by everything that's happening to him, and it's barely conceivable how someone so intellectually light-weight could best Nixon in anything, let alone a debate. It's a performance that at times can distract. One of the surprises of this film, however, is Kevin Bacon's performance as Nixon's righthand man, Jack Brennan. Its a standout performance, obviously over-shadowed by Langella, but noteworthy none-the-less. A movie dramatizing the events surrounding a television interview might not sound very exciting, but it winds up being quite engrossing, and definitely worthy of it's oscar nomination.
**** out of *****

After The Thin Man (1936): Starring William Powell, Myrna Loy, James Stewart, Elissa Landi, Joseph Calleia, Jessie Ralph, Sam Levene
The sequel to The Thin Man finds Nick and Norah Charles on their way home to California after solving the east coast case (as seen in the first film). Nick thinks he's in for a restful respite after his New York adventure, but upon arriving home, Norah's cousin calls for help, desperate to find her missing husband. He is out running around with other women, and soon gets himself stuck in a blackmailing scheme. Much of this movie will seem familiar to those who've seen the first one, it follows the previously established formula very faithfully. We the audience are given a list of suspects, all with a possible motive for murder, and are allowed the fun of trying to figure out "who dun it". Myrna Loy and William Powell reprise their roles as the lovingly sophisticated and witty couple, and Powell's Nick is still a raging alcoholic (and of course Asta, their cute little dog is back, cuter than ever). Perhaps it's not quite as good as the first one (the dialogue is a little less risque and funny this time around), but there's enough laughs and surprises to make it well worth a watch.
***1/2 out of *****
Back to top Go down
Patty The K
Admin
Patty The K

Thin and Frosty! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thin and Frosty!   Thin and Frosty! Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2009 9:38 pm

I really liked Frost/Nixon, though I had my doubts. It surprised me how much I ended up liking it! Well acted (especially from the supporting roles, who are all out-shadowed by Langella) and extremely well crafted. I watched the bonus materials, and it was interesting how much attention they paid to the minor details.

Michael Sheen definitely has some sort of Simon Pegg-ness going on this movie, so that was an added bonus, at least for me.

I'm giving it an A
Back to top Go down
https://lipstickrobot.aforumfree.com

Thin and Frosty!
Page 1 of 1